This is the process all buyers (you can easily swap buyers with “investors”) go through as they become aware of, evaluate, and purchase a new product or service. The journey is generally comprised of five-ish steps.
1. Unaware your solution exists
2. Aware - Seeking the preferences and trade offs
3. Trial - First interaction with your product
4. Repeat - Secure a repeat purchase, or subscription
5. Mobilize - Secure feedback, a testimonial, or referral.
For example, you will talk to someone who is just figuring out they have a problem or need at the Awareness stage differently than you would someone who is weighing solutions at the Preference stage.
Each segment of your adoption curve will go through the buyer’s journey; if your marketing efforts are successful, you will see a drop-off in prospects at each stage, but a higher rate of engagement and conversion.